Friday, October 30, 2009

A Childlike Mom


Today we have guest blogger, Melody Flemming. Melodie is a published author, pastor's wife, and home school mom. Check out her regular blog at www.melodiefleming.blogspot.com and enjoy digital fellowship with her at www.facebook.com/melodiefleming or www.twitter.com/melodiefleming.

A Childlike Mom

by Melodie Flemming


Home schooling? What have I gotten myself into?

I keep looking, but I can’t find a magic button that transforms children into hard working, mannerly, well scrubbed little creatures. So, I guess I’m stuck with the real world – where kids are kids, grown ups are grown ups, and parents bridge the gap from childhood to adulthood.

I have to admit, life would be less joyful if my kids grew up quietly. Even potty humor sometimes makes me chuckle.

From my son, I’ve learned that life is science. Every day is a grand experiment. Yes, it bugs me that he can’t just walk from house to car without some antic. But if it weren’t for him, I’d miss the wonder in my world.

From my daughter, I’ve learned that life is art. The world is comprised of shape, color, and shades of light. Sure, I get nervous when she explores my jewelry box. But if it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t see how life sparkles.

I recently read Herbert Hoover’s book On Growing Up: His Letters From and to American Children. One theme reoccurred: enjoy your childhood. Not the advice I expected from a former world leader. Yet, according to him, serious thought is the work of adults. Childhood is best spent in constructive fun.

Hoover’s perspective made me think of Christ’s. Although the Bible tells us to train up our children, we are never called to make them into miniature adults. In fact, Jesus tells grown ups to be more like kids.

This concept is one of the things I enjoy most about home education. Sometimes books are better read underneath a blanket tent. Phonetic techniques are more effective when cuddling on the couch. Journal entries might be more creative if written from a tree limb. Worksheets are sometimes a necessary evil, but natural science is better on a nature walk. And playtime is just as important for education as book time is.

What have I gotten myself into? I traded one difficult job I loved (teaching) for another difficult job I love even more (teaching my own kids). I exchanged the rat race for the family marathon. I swapped late night homework for restful evenings. I’m still in metamorphosis, but I think I’m also trading excess intensity for a child like faith.

I think Herbert Hoover would approve.

I know Jesus does.

No comments:

Post a Comment